I went in for my first appointment today. It was wonderful. I'm not seeing the Drs. this time (been there done that...not the best experience) and we decided we would try going to the midwives. Basically they know everything a Dr. does, but the main difference is that you see them every time and they go up to the hospital with you and stay THE WHOLE TIME during your labor and delivery. That really appealed to me considering with Jagger I had like 3 different nurses and the worst one came like 20 minutes before I delivered. This way I will have been seeing the same lady, she knows me and my situation, she CARES (just kind of felt like a nobody with the Drs. even though my situation was very unique...they could have pretended to care), and she will be there when it's time to go to the hospital. There is still a Dr. that delivers and you have the baby in a hospital, which is really good. Anyway, I had a very pleasant experience. I saw a lady named Rachel and she was awesome. I had an ultrasound and expected to see a wiggly little jelly bean like Jagger's first appointment. Granted I am lots farther along with this one than I was with Jagger, so I expected to see a bigger wiggly jelly bean, but not so! The baby actually looked like a baby (or a chubby sea monkey, we can't decide yet.) It had a head, body, legs and feet, and when seeing the profile we could see the nose and lips! We saw its heart and brain. My baby already has a brain!!! Crazy. I just didn't expect it to be so big yet. So that was just great, an incredible experience. And from what Rachel said, the baby looks good, is nice and active, and is the size of a plum. Weird. They are going to be taking extra precautions with me because of my situation with Jagger. I guess every time I go in they want to give me a shot of progesterone (which the body makes anyway when you are pregnant). It stops right before you go into labor, so I guess they are just taking precautions to make sure the stuff I naturally produce doesn't stop early and I go into pre-term labor again. Also I think at around 20 weeks, they'll want to see me a little more often and they'll do an ultrasound every time to measure the length of my cervix to make sure everything is good (TMI?). So it's really nice that they're taking things nice and slow and going to be watching me closely, and hopefully everything will go great with this baby! I've been feeling different with this baby than Jagger...so maybe its a girl!! :) Who knows, of course either would be great.
2 days ago


19 comments:
Yeaahh go baby Smith!! Adorable little plum
Congratulations on baby #2!! You'll love having a midwife; I recommend them to everyone!
congratulations Nicole! I have delivered both my babies with midwives and will not go back to a doctor for labor and delivery. Midwives are the best. Babies are their business and they show so much care. You'll love them.
Congrats again on the good news.
love, Anna
I delivered my first 2 with the midwives there and loved it...so much in fact that when we moved out to Ohio I refused to see a Dr and only went with a midwife! :) BEST EXPERIENCE EVER!
Was a little confused though--you said a Dr. delivers but it sounded like the midwife would just be there...are you having Dr. Lovell deliver or the midwives? I have always had a midwive deliver--never a different Dr. But maybe your situation is different. Either way, so cool! Glad you are seeing them. Makes SUCH a difference in who your Dr. is!
Andy thinks your baby looks like a gofer. I think it looks precious. Can't wait to find out what it is!
I wanted to do the whole midwife thing this time around too - but after asking around to all of the women in my ward... the midwives here suck apparently. Everyone said oh no, don't go to the midwives whatever you do, and they are the only ones who deliver in the hospital, so I had no choice, but at least the doctors I am seeing here are a whole lot more considerate and worried about what I want than the ones in Provo. And they also provide doulas when you are actually in labor - so I will have someone there with me the whole time as well. I was thinking you were further along for some reason, and so today asked andy what you were having. I can't wait to know. I am so excited... now we just need to move to Idaho so our baby's can play!
i'm so glad you are feeling at ease with this pregnancy. it sounds like you are in fantastic hands!! :) you've sorta sold me on midwives (not that i need one) ... i can't wait to meet the little one!!!! don't think i'll be able to eat a plum for a while though :)
Good choice on the midwife, you'll love it. My friends were amazed mine would schedule a whole hour for each of my prenatal appts. It was great to feel a bond with the person who will help you bring your baby into this world. We are so excited for you guys. Hope to see you soon!
Yeah again! Congrats you two! I felt the same way about that office: that I was just another pregnant body! If it doesn't work out with the mid-wives this time, I'd highly recommend Dr. Meridith at Targhee. He has been awesome (even before I had complications). He remembered me from the first appointment & I have been so impressed that I can not only trust his medical judgment, but also that he cares about me and my individual situation!
Did you know we are pregnant too?! How far along are you? I am 12 weeks!
Congrats on the new baby! We loved having a midwife! They are awesome!
YAY! We are so happy for you! We cant wait to meet little #2 in May!
Wow ... I didn't even know you were pregnant again!!! That is so SO exciting! We're trying to get the word around too cuz we're expecting a little one on June 20th ... or somewhere around there. I'll see how my doctors are (they don't want to see you until 10 weeks, so we have another week and a half before our appointment). But, I will definitely keep the midwife option in mind. Good luck with your pregnancy and I am so happy for you guys!! What a cute family. (that I've only seen in pictures and think that really needs to change!) Love you! :)
Congratulations! It sounds like you have really checked this out. I will be interested to keep posted on the whole mid-wife thing!
aahh!! congrats on the new baby coming!! I am so excited for you!
congrats nicole. that's great.
First off let me just say how excited I am for you two, and I can't wait for the next niece or nephew b/c Jagger has just been the best and funnest experience for me!!! Second, I know what you mean for how surprised you were for how far along your baby already is.. I went to the Body Worlds exhibit 2 weeks ago (AMAZING by the way, if you have the opportunity to go, take it!) They have a baby section in the exhibit, where they have fetus starting at 5 weeks through 9 months! and the heart is the first organ to develop and that happens at 4 weeks!!! so by four weeks your baby already has a heart! and by 6 weeks it already has toes and fingers!!! they are sooo tiny, but already so cute! it just reminds me of what a miracle we are and that there is most definitely a Father in Heaven! But congrats again. i love you!
Have you already written about your delivery and experience with Jagger? I would like to hear it sometime to know what all happened...
Congratulations!! I am so excited for you!
Post a Comment