Monday, June 29, 2009

pinky and my brain: getting ready

is it just me, or are there lots of other people that don't get ready during the day? the teenage me would be disgusted with my former self...when did i stop caring? it's not like i never get ready, but the days are few and far between. sunday is sunday, and i always look my best. alma asked me yesterday why it takes me so long to get ready on sunday and not the other days. truth be told? because i don't get ready all the other days. i'm sorry alma. i'm sorry children. i'm sorry public who see me looking like an unkempt housewife that doesn't get out much (which is what i am, but i shouldn't look that way!). today i vow to be better. i read the most rockin article in the june ensign that inspired this post. an exerpt:

Women ought to be praised for all the gifts they possess--including their attentiveness to their personal appearance--that so unselfishly add to the richness of the lives of others. we must not let ourselves go and become so casual--even sloppy--in our apearance that we distance ourselves from the beauty heaven has given us.
Elder Douglas L. Callister, Our Refined Heavenly Home

i will do better with the beauty i have been given. this makes me want to go shopping! is there anyone out there with my sense of style, my exact size who is sick of all their clothes and wants to swap?? and one more question...when is my skin going to get the memo that i'm not a 15 year old hormonal boy??? ugh. these two things don't help me feel better about my appearance, but when i get ready i don't think about them as much.

i'm happy to report that today i have taken a shower, done my hair, and am wearing a cute outfit :)

6 comments:

Helen said...

It's not just you.. time just passes so quickly in the morning with all the doing that has to be done, getting ready just gets put further and further back. When I make an effort to get ready early, maybe even before the girls get up (it doesn't happen often) I feel so much better.

Josh and Cambree said...

Josh and I loved that article in the Ensign. Josh even found the original talk (unabridged) and we read it together. It was very inspiring and motivated us to make some changes in our lives as well.

I, too, get ready early in the morning before Nate gets up. But I definitely simplify the routine if I know I'm not going anywhere that day.

Rachel said...

I'm right there with you! Thanks for the post. I needed to hear it :)

Jessi, DJ, Annica and Eli said...

Wow.. I will have to read that article! sounds like most of us mom's need something like that! Somehow we feel like we don't matter enough to get ready and feel nice about ourselves... but I guess we are right... we DESERVE it and owe it to ourselves. Thanks Nicole!

Kristen Parnell said...

Loved that article. So many things I need to do to be more refined. Loved it. Hmmm... so maybe I should go take a shower then. It's only 12:30... still plenty of day left, right?

stephanie and sean said...

even when you don't try to look cute, you look cute. it's just who you are, you can't help it :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails