Wednesday, December 9, 2009

bah humbug

so i was listening to our Christmas songs the other night while stringing kix for our Christmas tree.  suddenly i was keenly aware of the lyrics to "here comes santa clause" or whatever the title is.  here are the lyrics:

let's give thanks to the Lord above
cause santa clause comes tonight

does this strike anyone else as totally and completely wrong?!!  let's give thanks to the Lord (Jesus)...whom we are supposed to be celebrating this season, for santa clause?  um, no thanks.  crazy.  i still like the song i guess, but kind of cringe when i hear that line.

speaking of santa, i don't know if i like the idea of him around Christmas time anyway.  sure it's fun for kids, but we as parents are telling one big fat lie.  and how long do you pretend?  and why do we bring him into the mix anyway?  i know the history of chris cringle and all that jazz, but Christmas is supposed to be about Christ.  i'm not saying we won't do santa...i'm just not sure yet.  what do you guys think??

10 comments:

Jenn said...

If you watch the show "Santa Claus is Coming To Town" you gain more insight on why the song says that (although I do agree they aren't the most appropriate lyrics). It talks about how Kris Kringle had to cut down his special deliveries to only one night a year and it talks about how he choose Christmas Eve to celebrate the holiest day of the year the day when Jesus Christ was born.

Santa is all about what you make him to be. He can be all about generosity & love or he can be very commercialistic. I am glad that I believed in Santa and I love to watch Aisley light up in the magic too. We limit how many gifts Santa can bring and we talk about the true meaning of Christmas too.

If you are going to cut out Santa you need to cut out the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, and every other imaginary thing. and then where is the magic?

Unknown said...

I totally agree with you. There was a sociology teacher out at BYUI (Steven Smith I think) that spent an entire lecture about how Santa is Satan rearranged (though that may be a bit much for us) and how Santa has been so blown out of proportion and now just serves to take away from the real focus which should be Christ. So we long ago decided that we'll still do the whole, Santa brings the presents and bla bla bla, but as much as I can help it we're not going to decorate our house with Santa. We will make a big fuss about the Nativity set (which someday we'll own!) and have cutsie snowmen and penguins and other traditional things to decorate because that's always fun. But as far as Santa, we want to mention him here and there to get the point across for the fun of that traidtion, but we will FOCUS on Christ as much as we can.

So anyways...thats our two cents. :)

Alisha said...

Agreed with Jenn. Why cut out the magic, and the imagination?

We all know the origin of Santa Claus, and I think he was a great man. Giving to the needy and caring for others. Pretty Christ-like in my mind. And we all know Santa has totally been commercialized in our day. But I think you make it what you want in your home.

I know I will do the Santa thing, because of the magic. I don't feel like I was lied to or deceived by my parents. They kept it very clear what Christmas was really about, and I plan on doing the same. I just don't see harm in a little bit of fun either.

stephanie and sean said...

hahaha! #70,321 i love you. we will celebrate the spirit of santa claus in our home. period. for further details on one of the subjects i am most passionate about, please refer to my december 16, 2008 post :)

Bonnie Olsen said...

The more I think about the subject, the more I'm just going to go with the flow. I want to think of fun traditions centered around Christ first (so HE will be memorable during this season to our children) ... then, if Avery seems excited about Santa too, we'll ham it up a little. That's what i think so far.

Matt and Becca said...

Matt and I had the same concern. It's tough deciding. We definitely don't want to diminish Christ in this holiday, but it kind-of happens when Santa is brought into the picture.

Jessi said...

i totally had this same thought when we started our christmas music this year and heard those lyrics. it's R-I-diculous!!! we do santa, but we are careful how we talk about it. We try to say that santa gives gifts to be giving, just like how christ was giving and selfless.. but we don't have santa decorations and such. its a very hard thing to balance. i wish i would have thought it through a bit more before the kids got old enough to think about it. if i recall-- steph braniff has some good ideas on the subject. can't wait to see you guys!

Jennie and Spencer said...

Thank you so much for the Christmas card. You have such a sweet family. I'm excited for you guys and all the new fun things you are doing in Colorado. Colorado, how fun. Miss you.

Ria said...

Well, call me Satan rearranged to spell Santa but I LOVE all things Christmas! I have no problem at all having Santa be a part of our celebration of Christ's birth. All of the trappings of Christmas represent joy and giving to me. So Santa--bring it on!

Lindsay said...

I was listening on NPR the other day and learned about how the Santa Clause figure even came about. We adopted him from Holland but he was a very different guy. It wasn't until "Twas the night before christmas" was written I think around the 1840s or something that the whole persona we know today came about - bowl full of jelly, bringing gifts in a sack, traveling with reindeer. Then a couple of decades later Harpers magazine (?) published illustrations to go with the poem, depicting him as older and chunkier. It's funny to learn how these silly things get started and actually stick.

Related Posts with Thumbnails