Wednesday, March 10, 2010

pinky and my brain: what's in a name?

many of you who know me, know this story. not really a story, just something i always say when the subject of names or specifically my name comes up. sweet alma has heard this monolog too many times to count. so here it is...
my name is common. i used to complain about being nicole stevens, no middle name. mom says 'it wasn't a popular name when i named you that'. hm. so everyone just had the same idea at the same time?? i grew up one of several nicole's in a classroom. the teacher would ask 'who wants to go by nikki (which i NEVER did)' and the rest of us proceeded to be called nicole b, nicole t, and me, nicole s. it wouldn't have been so bad, but i am the oldest of the 3 sisters, the two other being alicia (a-lees-ee-uh), a beautiful spanish name, and monique (whom i named as a 5 year old). but pretty much every 3rd person in the world has my name, either as a first or middle name. think i'm exaggerating?? i counted all the girls at my sisters graduation whose names were nicole and it was like 40% of them! ...and thus is the cruel irony which is NOW my name, nicole smith. even more common, even more generic. even more plain. sigh. when i tell offices my name, they usually ask if i have a middle name 'because they already have a (sometimes multiple) nicole smith on file'. bigger sigh. so at the drs. office i was nicole s. smith to those who knew me and my growing belly. which is totally incorrect by the way b/c i didn't move over my maiden name to be a middle one.
so now this subject, which if you can't tell is something i'm passionate about, has trickled down to the naming of our spawn. it is really important to me for our children to have unique names. not unique like spelling stephanie some weird way, and not unique in the fact that nobody knows how to pronounce and/or spell it. but just unique. and it's not like we have to worry about it fitting well with our last name. we were originally going to name jagger jaxson, but once i started telling people, everyone knew someone with that name...and that totally turned me off. we were going to name vienna ruby. i still love this name, and it's a family name, but felt like it wasn't unique enough and i didn't want that name to start having a comeback. so imagine my surprise (b/c we don't own a tv) and distain to hear of the recent winner on a reality tv show, whose name is VIENNA. ugh.

so dear readers,
not only is jagger spelled with 2 g's (please take note of all things you learned in english class), but please don't name your children vienna. i named my little sweets this b/c it means something to me. i lived there for a semester and absolutely fell in love with it. please just don't do it. i don't want my little girl to grow up how i did.
thanks

and speaking of my little girl, she is now 10 months! post coming soon...

8 comments:

The Huzzey's said...

Don't worry. NOBODY even liked her that followed the show...except the person that chose her of course. I think you will be good. And plus, I don't think any little girl named Vienna could possibly be as adorable as yours!!!

Heidi said...

I don't think anyone will be naming their little girl Vienna after the reality star- she was nasty.

You should go to the ward park thing this Friday morning so we can hang out outside of church!

stephanie and sean said...

i'm gonna do it! I'M GONNA DO IT!

just kidding. but now i have this all of the sudden desire to name my little one vienna becasue you asked me not to! i would never do that to you though :) you feel like your name is plain but YOU could not be less so. i have never met anyone even close to being like you. you are absolutely one of a kind, even if you're name isn't. and if it helps, even a little bit, you are my only nicole friend. aren't you glad i don't spell my name Stefanaei?

Katy said...

That's how Mark & I both felt...having common names. We messed up with Gavin. I know a million Gavin's his age...sigh. But I promise not to take Vienna or Jagger! :)

Jenn said...

I totally feel your pain. When I got married I was so excited to go from Jennifer Christensen to Jennifer Ivie, but the curse just followed me! For the first few months we lived in Rexburg my mail was forwarded to the other Jennifer Ivie that had lived in our apartment before us and then she had kids at the same time as I had Aisley and Taggart. Good thing I never sent them to the nursery or they might have gotten switched!

So I named my kids what I thought were original (I had never heard Aisley before) but my friend moved to Texas and she her son has 2 friends the same age named Aisley! UGH!

Josh and Cambree said...

Oh you are funny, Nicole. Let's just remember that there are 6 billion people on the planet. Chances are there will be someone with the same name no matter how unique it is. Trust me, I used to think there were no other Cambree's in the world, but now I know of at least 5. :) Good times.

Joneel said...

Hi Nicole, will you call melissa and get my number. I'd like to talk to you about housing in Rexburg. Thanks

Lindsay said...

Once in Ethiopia in a village we met with a women's group. 6 of 9 of them had the name Fatima, their version of probably Nicole or Katie. So when it was my turn to introduce myself I said "fatima". They knew I was kidding and some of them laughed. btw I was Lindsay Johnson, now Lindsay MacDonald. I feel your pain!

Related Posts with Thumbnails