Monday, September 21, 2009

pinky and my brain: family

"The first commandment recorded seems to have been 'Multiply and replenish the earth.' Let no one ever think that the command came to have children without marriage. No such suggestion could ever have foundation....

"I have told many groups of young people that they should not postpone their marriage until they have acquired all of their education ambitions. I have told tens of thousands of young folks that when they marry they should not wait for children until they have finished their schooling and financial desires. Marriage is basically for the family, and when people have found their proper companions there should be no long delay. They should live together normally and let the children come.

"There seems to be a growing feeling that marriage is for legal sex, for sex's sake. Marriage is basically for the family; that is why we marry--not for the satisfaction of the sex, as the world around us would have us believe. When people have found their companions, there should be no long delay. Young wives should be occupied in bearing and rearing their children. I know of no scriptures where an authorization is given to young wives to withhold their families and to go to work to put their husbands through school. There are thousands of husbands who have worked their own way through school and have reared families at the same time. Though it is more difficult, young people can make their way through their educational programs."

President Spencer W. Kimball

we don't have a lot of money. we don't have a lot of things. but we have been blessed with each other. and two beautiful children. and that is what life is all about. family.

3 comments:

Corey said...

And so we shall be following in your footsteps.

Heather and Josh Wickern said...

Thank you so much for posting this. There are times when people look at my like I'm crazy because we're in our last 2 semesters of school, have 2 children, struggle to make ends meet, and yet are still wanting to be pregnant even before Josh graduates in April. There's always that little demon in the back of my mind that says, "You know this would've been easier if you would've waited." and then I look at my children and think, "Easier maybe, but not as rich." Thanks guys! I appreciated this and really needed it!!

Katy said...

AMEN, SISTER! :) I get so many funny looks or questions of "how is that one, how old is that one?" I DO NOT regret having little ones as quickly as we have (and hopefully will continue to). Man we feel dirt poor with our mis-matched furniture, etc., etc, but boy do we have fun together. :) I am truly thankful for my two beautiful children and the blessings that they bring into our lives. Our current ward has been amazing about this! The bishop is very vocal about a lot of things and the number one being this concept (and properly rearing children). It's been refreshing to see, because most people dance around it and try not to hurt people's feelings. I know we cannot judge each other in the spacing and timing of children; however, as we take time for introspection of ourselves, I hope we can be honest with ourselves and the true intent of our heart. You are awesome, Nicole!

Related Posts with Thumbnails