Friday, February 22, 2008

attack of the killer flies


No...they are not killer flies, but we have a lot of fruit flies in our house! They are so small, and suprisingly don't freak me out like other insects, but I really don't know what to do. There have been many a fly squished by my hands and rubbed on my jeans, drown in some sort of water whether it be bath water, cup of water, in the sink, etc...and I am convinced that I have some living in my hair and that I am swallowing them without knowing it! Can you tell I am a little paranoid?! So this post is a call for help. If anyone knows of some sort of clever trap or trick to get these little buggars gone, I would greatly appreciate it!!

8 comments:

ken said...

I think they just come in with any fruit you've recently bought-- I hate those things! Well I have no idea what caused yours, but I'll tell you what worked for me :) You want to get rid of them fast because they "multiply" very quickly and then you'll never get rid of em! They usually go away if you cover up any open food/ fruit that you have sitting on counter-- put all of your food in tight bags or in the fridge, and take trash out frequently. If you don't have open fruit on counter, I just don't know... :)

stephanie and sean said...

I was going to suggest the same thing as above. Just cover and conceal everything and kill the remaining little buggers! We miss you too by the way. And okay, I'm not even joking, but I have the SAME EXACT thought process as you when it comes to Total Eclipse of the Heart! I think of bandits and that flaming red hair. Then I think about Kate Blanchett and how magnificent she is and how I love everything she's been in and how incredibly talented she is! I've been singing that song and thinking of her for the past couple of day ... and although she is pure wonder and that song is pretty rockin' ... i'm thinking ... it's gotta stop!

Theresa Rodriguez said...

Im so happy you found my page! I just think you are the cutest thing in the world and I always without fail knew if i was around you I would have a great time. What a wonderful little family you have! I dont know what to do about fruit flies. My sister made jam and had a bunch of cut up peaches that attracted every fruit fly in utah to her house and she made some little catcher like a funnell out of a paper cup and stuck it in another cup full of sugar water. They can fly into the water but dont know how to get out so they eventually die. She said it totally helped. I hope youre well and happy! You look great xoxo
Love Theresa

Andy and Melissa said...

Ewww... gross. We get those too when we have a lot of fruit around. I hate them. They do leave though once you get rid of all the fruit on your counter - cause there are none in my house as we speak - knock on wood.

mattnbeth said...

oh i hate bugs! im sorry. i hope they go away soon.

anna said...

the funnel in the cup really does work. It sounds crazy, but it worked for us. Just google it and you'll get a picture of how to make the funnel with paper and stick it in the cup with some fruit or some apple cider vinegar or some sugar water. good luck - fruit flies are the worst.

Jessi, DJ, Annica and Eli said...

I didn't read the others advice, and I do not know if your flies are gone -- but here are a coupel thoughts. We had fruit flies when we lived in that very apartment and DJ said get rid of the source- a nasty trashcan, old friut, a diaper that may have gotten hidden and forgotten -- ours was a vase of flowers that seemed okay, but I think that they travelled to our house with the flowers. As for trapping them, I have heard that a bowl of soapy water will attract them and kill them. If you find a strange source, they should leave quickly. When we got rid of the flowers we opened the windows and doors and cleaned real well, then the problem was gone. Fruit flies should not be there if there not a reason. (but thats our own experience, probably not fact by a scientist.)

Anonymous said...

*Goodbye Fruit Flies-To get rid of pesky fruit flies, take a small glass, fill it 1/2" with Apple Cider Vinegar and 2 drops of dish washing liquid, mix well. You will find those flies drawn to the cup and gone forever!

I read this on another blog...

Related Posts with Thumbnails