Monday, October 8, 2007

inexplicable yearning

Lately I have had this feeling that I have become very passionate about. I was not fortunate to be born into another race. Yes, I do love my fair skin and freckles, but I feel like something so wonderful is missing--culture. We have culture sure, if you're talking about eating burgers and fries (which IS one of my favorite things I might add), watching baseball, frivolously spending money, wanting something for nothing, and knowing that there's always something bigger and better. I love America, and am very proud to be an American...truly. But spending my magical 4 months in Europe really opened my eyes to the beauty and wonderment of other cultures. Even Polynesians, which many do live in the good old US of A have a lifestyle so unique and inviting. I know that there are beautiful places here in the US, but my heart pines for something more; something different that you cannot find here. I cannot change the fact that I was born here and will probably stay here and have a certain and specific lifestyle...or can I? I really do hunger for big fiestas, luaus, octoberfest (you know what I mean) and want that as a uniting tradition in our family. I want to experience that every day. I talked with Alma the other day about living abroad. He suggested Spain...Spain! I love Spain, at least I think I do. Never did get over there during my travels. Mexico, Hawaii, Europe?! My imagination has gone wild!! We could "swim the English channel, run with the bulls in Spain", have truly memorable experiences that are beautiful and unique. Anyway, I cannot wait to go back to Europe and fall in love all over again. Who knows what the future holds? All I know is I am excited and I hope we can become entwined in some truly authentic culture and make it our own.

*A disclaimer for those family members (aka mother and mother-in-law) who would freak out about this post...it is just a post. This is not an announcement. Don't get all crazy...yet :)

And as a celebration to this post, I had to add some of the most beautiful pictures from my trip abroad. (special thanks to Niki for some of these pictures)

VIENNA!!


HALLSTADT

BURG LICHTENSTEIN

ME SKIPPING AROUND MELK ON OUR BIKE RIDE!
VENICE!




FLORENCE!

PRAGUE!


3 comments:

Andy and Melissa said...

Oh, so beautiful! I am jealous of your travels. I don't know if you recall, but I was scheduled to go to London and other nearby places with the film program at BYU until Andy proposed. I do not regret my decision to postpone my travels a bit, but postpone is the key word there. I have this whole romantic idea of living abroad - but I feel it would probably be a short stay for me really. Like a couple of months maybe. Maybe I would change my mind once I was out there but I really enjoy the feelings of security I enjoy most of the time here in the good old USA.

stephanie and sean said...

Nicole! Thank you so much for that little trip around the world. Those pictures are absolutely georgous! Sean and I have talked about travels and he said "I think we'll get to see a good little bit of this world." I can't wait to travel and completely agree with the thoughts you shared :) I love your disclaimer to the mamas and your comment about our "culture" ... it made me laugh and then once I thought about it I had to nod my head in agreement :) I think a wonderful part of families is that you can create your own family culture by taking bits and peices of things you and Alma adore! I also love the pictures you added on the side. I really got a kick out of the last one. You make the best faces. Hope all is well :)

Heidi said...

O man Hallstadt is one of my very favorite places in the world- I did not know you guys went there while you were on SA. Anyhow, I too yearn to live abroad. I am very passionate about it but I am more passionate about my husband and he is happy to practice medicine right here in the USof A. I guess I will just have to get a second home in Europe or Tahiti or something and visit often.

Related Posts with Thumbnails