
I used to be blessed with the gift of charity. I used to be outgoing. I used to be extremely happy and optimistic. I have always been a little crazy. Years have gone by and I felt like a completely different person than that fun-loving girl in high school. One major difference: Marriage and a family. Almost all of my socializing, crazy outgoing self was centered around teasing and flirting...It was all out of fun, and I had a lot of it. When I met Alma and fell in love, that part of my life...the flirting with other guys, letting them know what they were missing out on, etc. was done. Easy. But then I became almost opposite to that. Not wanting to talk to other guys, becoming more cynical and judgmental, more introverted. All of that positive energy that was there for everyone I only gave to Alma. I stopped that nasty little thing we call "gossip" or "backbiting" years and years ago when I was on the other side of it big time and realized no one needs to feel that way. But if I only told Alma, I knew it would just stay in between us. Thus started the judgments, not-so-nice comments, and so forth. Before I knew it, I had changed. Yes I was always civil and kind to others, but I missed that part of me from high school that everyone seemed to respond to and liked so much.
So I changed. I have tried to find a happy-medium and it has been very gradual, but I feel like a whole new and improved me! I have prayed for strength and charity. I am reading President Hinckley's biography and have committed myself to be an optimist instead of a realist. Alma and I have tried to "Speak with the tongue of Angels" as Elder Holland counseled and stopped our harsh words towards others...even if it was just within our small circle of trust. What a difference this has made. I start fresh each day and realize what a blessed life I lead! When I do this there is no time to be sad, frustrated, or lethargic. I am truly happy and feel like I have been able to better radiate that happiness to others. I see the good in people instead of the bad. And if you have read this whole post, I guess I would challenge you to do the same. It is liberating, and my only hope is that I can keep progressing forward and not backslide.


4 comments:
Way to go Nicole. It sure makes life a lot more fun, looking at the good instead of the bad. Keep up the good work.
Well bravo nicole...changing "bad" habits is never easy. Funny thing, I became alot more introverted etc. after marrying Andy as well. I too have been feeling like I need to become more like the old "free happy spirit" I was in high school. (at least in some of the areas of mt life) Your post has rekindled the motivation in me... so thanks:)
What an incredible message. Thank you for the challenge. There is much to be said about the topic, but not enough room in this little text window, and not appropriate for the world wide web :) To answer your question. OF COURSE YOU CAN CALL ME! The feeling is mutual, I miss you too and would love to talk with ya. I am home by 2:30 your time on weeknights and am so available on the weekends. Do you have my number?
By the way ... your picture really looks like Rosie the Riveter! I am riveted.
Thanks for this post. I can totally relate! You are such an amazing person. Love ya!
Post a Comment